This week Olympus Imaging announced the release of four very exciting new products. The products announced included a new PEN E-PL8 model and three very welcome lens models to an ever growing range of Micro Four Thirds lenses from Olympus. Below is a brief run through of highlighted features on the new products. We will have full descriptions, features and specifications on our website shortly.
Olympus PEN E-PL8
First up we would like to share with you the new Micro Four Thirds System standard Compact System Camera, Olympus PEN E- PL8. This model features a sophisticated design, enhanced selfie functions, smartphone connectivity, and extensive creative shooting functions that expands the possibility of photographic expressions.
The powerful in-body image stabilisation allows you to capture sharp images with minimal camera shake, and the TruePic VII image processor also used in our flagship model the OM-D E-M1, brings out the best of the excellent optical performance and quality from our M.Zuiko Digital lenses for high resolution and vivid colour reproduction.
The E-PL8 is equipped with a large, high definition touch panel monitor that rotates 180 degree downward. A downward-opening monitor enables touch operations easier and allows for easy and comfortable selfie capture.
This interchangeable lens system camera will satisfy a variety of needs, for those that enjoy taking your camera with you to shoot, view and instantly share.
With built-in Wi-Fi, photos and movies can easily be imported to a smartphone and shared anytime, anywhere. Also, you can use your smartphone to remotely control the camera, allowing you to capture yourself easily in the shot.
The PEN E-PL8 features high image quality inherited from the OM-D series. The image sensor retains details in shadows and faithfully represents night and dark indoor scenes. This allows for wide dynamic range and smooth expressions of graduation and beautifully captures high contrast scenes.
- A premium PEN design, simple and sophisticated
- Downward-opening monitor and creative shooting functions for enjoyable Touch Selfies in still images and movies
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables smartphone connectivity for transferring and sharing images as well as remote shooting
- Clips and Art Filter Movie provide enhanced movie recording
- Excellent basic performance provides SLR image quality)
- 16.1 megapixel Live MOS
- Live Composite lets you capture impressive trails of light
- Fast AF instantly focuses when you touch the monitor
- 8.5 fps high-speed sequential shooting
The Olympus E-PL8 will be available to purchase from this weekend in-store, online and over the phone.
Olympus m.ZUIKO 12-100mm f4.0 PRO
The new M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO (35mm equivalent: 24-200mm) is a very exciting lens for many of us here. This compact, lightweight, high-performance, high-magnification professional zoom lens features a dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof (-10°) construction along with an image stabilization mechanism.
Conforming to the Micro Four Thirds System standard the lens provides amazing mobility and portability. When combined with a compatible camera body, 5-axis sync IS is supported, expanding the range of hand-held shooting scenes.
- 12-100mm focal length (24- 200mm: 35mm equivalent)
- Constant F4.0 across focal length zoom range
- Compact, lightweight, high- performance, high- magnification zoom lens with amazing mobility for professionals
- 5-axis sync IS with the world's most powerful 6.5 shutter speed steps (For the use of NDA meeting: 6.0 shutter speed steps) of compensation performance
- Macro capabilities with a closest working distance of 1.5cm and a maximum shooting magnification of 0.6x (35mm equivalent)
Olympus m.ZUIKO 25mm f1.2 PRO Lens
Another PRO lens announced is the new M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f1.2 PRO (35mm equivalent: 50mm). This high- performance standard lens, which conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard, features a dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof construction with excellent resolution performance and beautiful defocusing effects from the widest aperture setting of f1.2.
- Excellent resolution performance from the widest aperture setting of f1.2
- Beautiful defocusing effects which result from the large diameter
- High-speed Imager AF (MSC) Focusing System
- Limits comatic aberration to depict clearly as points
- ZERO high performance multi- coating
- Closest focusing distance 0.3m Shooting magnification 0.11x
- Dust and Splashproof
- L-Fn button, MF Clutch, Depth of Field Scale
- High speed, high-precision still image autofocusing and silent, smooth auto focusing for movies.
Olympus m.ZUIKO 30mm f3.5 MACRO Lens
To top off new product announcements, Olympus Imaging also revealed a new premium macro lens. The Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f3.5 Macro (35mm equivalent: 60mm) conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard with a maximum image magnification of 2.5x (35mm equivalent).
The new M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f3.5 premium macro lens features a maximum image magnification of 2.5x, that is the highest in its class, and the high powered magnification ability to approach subjects up to 14mm away from the end of the lens for a whole new world of macro shooting expression.
The new M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f3.5 Macro provides sharpness and beautiful defocusing effects appropriate to a lens in the M.Zuiko Premium category.
Furthermore, when combined with the 5-axis Image Stabilization of the OM-D and PEN cameras, you can enjoy high magnification shooting, without worrying about camera shake. The fastest AF speed in its class supports you to capture the best moments.
- Maximum image magnification of 2.5x (35mm equivalent), the highest in its class
- Premium macro lens with excellent image quality
- High-speed AF even in the macro range
- High-speed Imager AF (MSC) Focusing System
- Angle of view: 40 degrees
- Closest focusing distance 0.095m
- 7 blade Circular Aperture Diaphragm